Sunday, February 07, 2010

LVB Trackers - back to building

After dozens of interruptions, the last being 2 feet of snow that had to be handled yesterday, I'm assembling trackers. Will ship at least 5 tomorrow if I need to stay up all night. Including one that is being returned for repair. This tracker ran just fine on my test rotor and pc running SatPC32 but I did notice the front of the usb module was working its way loose. This is something I feared from the start. Initially thought the friction of 24 pins would keep the module firmly plugged in. But when a usb cable is plugged in to the b connector it adds several inches of leverage to the module. If you push down on the cable you can pop the front of the module right out of the connector. I thought about several ways to fix this but didn't come up with just the right fix till this morning while on the bench. The workshop environment must of inspired the right thought. I also decided to fix another weakness, din cable twisting. If you twist the din cable enough the connector will come unplugged. It's an easy fix but if I can prevent it all the better. And it only adds about 5 minutes to the assembly process. Now if I could only do software.

So back to work... don't want this blog to steal too much assembly time. Besides if I get done I can watch the Super Bowl.
3:26pm

The tracker uses 4 Miyama push button switches. Initially used to calibrate the tracker to the rotor they can also manually control the motion of the rotors. Today during testing I found a bad one. First failure of this part in over 1,350 installed. Dunno if that is bad or good but I am definitely glad we haven't had more. It will take 15-20 minutes to replace the switch.
6:05pm

Failed to ship... Spent evening time with family! Family First!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home