Wednesday, April 28, 2010

LVB Tracker - 15 days till Dayton Hamvention

Camped out at Mom's last night. While watching the CAVS beat the Bulls I completed more of the tasks required to get the pcb's ready. Performed the voltage check, installed and flashed the pics and flashed 12 more pics to have on hand.

This morning as always there ONE MORE THING to do... that was installing the USB module. After that was done... ONE MORE THING... had to attach the heatsink to the 7805 voltage regulator. Was trying to get small form factor 6-32 nuts but they wont get in till next week... I want to be well into testing and packing trackers by then. But the pc boards are ready for assembly... BUT... there is ONE MORE THING I need to do before I can start... I'll show you that in a bit! 2:17pm

OK so I had ONE MORE THING to do before going into the assembly process... here's the story.... bear in mind I am self diagnosed with OCD.

Above shows the black din cable entering from the back of the tracker enclosure fanning out to 8 colored wires terminated into a black amp idc connector. Notice the white tie wrap that is used as a strain relief where the cable comes into the case. If the tracker is installed and never moved this strain relief will do its job no problem. But what happens of the cable is twisted? If twisted enough it could wrap the 8 individual wires up enough to pull the connector out! I know chances are slim but I have found a solution.I simply added a second tie wrap that is bolted down to one of the board mounting screws. If you can twist the din cable now and you do disconnect the connector... you doing more with this thing than tracking satellites.
So the ONE MORE THING I hafta do is cut 30 tie wraps to length and punch a hole in one end. Its just one more nasty little process that is in the way. So now I need to get on with it. 4:18pm
Got them cut and it only took about 1/2 hour. But there is ONE MORE THING I just thought of. Gonna get that now... 4:48pm
Had to cut some shrink tubing for the din cables... But now WE ARE READY TO START ASSEMBLY!!!! 5:00pm

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good tip Mike. I'll do that "upgrade" to my tracker before putting it in service.

Thanks & 73

Hoke...KB5RUZ

12:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well...after popping the case..I see you've already performed the "up-grade" on this unit!

Hoke..KB5RUZ

12:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home